Skilled Worker Visa
The Skilled Worker visa replaced the Tier 2 (General) visa category on 01 December 2020. The category is designed to allow businesses in the UK to sponsor and employ skilled staff from overseas to fill vacant jobs.
The category will apply to EU, EEA, and Swiss nationals that are not already residing in the UK by 31st December 2020.
What are the main requirements?
- You must have a confirmed job offer before applying under this category and must show that you:
- are applying for a visa to work for a UK employer that is an approved sponsor and holds a sponsor licence in the relevant category
- have been assigned a Certificate of Sponsorship from the employer
- are applying to work in the UK for a job that is on the list of eligible occupations
- will be paid the minimum salary required under this category or the minimum salary for the occupation, whichever is higher
- meet the English language requirement
Duration of stay in the UK
Your UK sponsor can issue a Certificate of Sponsorship for up to 5 years. Your visa will be issued in line with the duration of the certificate of sponsorship. You will need to extend the visa before it expires or if you change your employer in the UK. You may be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK once you have completed 5 years residence in the UK.
Applying in this category
Your application is submitted online whether you are applying from outside the UK, applying from within the UK to extend your visa, or switching to this category from within the UK.
You can include your partner and dependent children in your application for permission to stay with you.