Settlement Agreements for Employees
A Settlement Agreement is a legally binding contract between employers and employees (or former employees) to settle claims and often end employment on agreed terms. They waive the individual’s right to future legal action, Employment Tribunal or Court remedies on matters that are specifically covered in the agreement. Settlement agreements may be proposed prior to any other formal process and often include some form of payment to the employee from the employer and may include matters such as a reference.
In order for a Settlement Agreement to be valid it must be in writing, in relation to a particular complaint or proceedings and both employers and employees must obtain independent legal advice prior to signing the Settlement Agreement.
As an employee you need to be aware of your rights if you are offered a Settlement Agreement by your employer and what to do next. In addition you can in fact offer a Settlement Agreement to your employer.
Our experienced, dedicated employment solicitors specialise in negotiating Settlement Agreements and can provide you with services from our offices in Chester, Shrewsbury or Manchester including:
- Advise on the process required to offer your employer a Settlement Agreement
- Compile a new Settlement Agreement based on your circumstances to offer to your employer
- Negotiate the terms of the Settlement Agreement with your employer
- Review and advise on your entire Settlement Agreement so you are sure you understand the terms prior to signing
- Tailored advice to your specific circumstances
Partner & Head of Employment Law
Download our ‘Settlement Agreements’ Leaflet Here.