Chester 01244 405 555

Grosvenor Court
Foregate Street Chester
Cheshire CH1 1HG
DX: 19990 Chester


Shrewsbury 01743 443043

Lakeside House
Oxon Business Park
Shrewsbury SY3 5HJ
DX: 148563 Shrewsbury 14

Slide e

Airport City, Manchester 0161 537 3324

Offices 204 and 205
Manchester Business Park
3000 Aviator Way
Manchester M22 5TG

Parental Responsibility

If you’re married parents or the unmarried mother of a child, you will have parental responsibility for your child. You will also have parental responsibility if you’re the father of a child born after 1 December 2003 and your name is on the birth certificate, or if you’ve signed a parental responsibility agreement.

What is Parental Responsibility?

If you have parental responsibility, you have the rights and responsibilities for making the important decisions in a child’s life, be it in relation to their education, religious upbringing, medical treatment or place of residence.

You don’t give up parental responsibility if you separate, divorce or dissolve a civil partnership.

If you don’t have parental responsibility we would help you to try and reach an agreement with the other parent. If an agreement for you to have parental responsibility is reached, we will draft the necessary agreement. If you can’t reach an agreement, our expert family lawyers in Chester and Shrewsbury can make an application to court on your behalf.

Richard Barge Richard Barge

Partner & Head of Family Law
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 01244 455371

Lorraine Saunders

Family Law Partner
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 01244 455304

Find a Service Area


Contact Us