Chester 01244 405 555

Grosvenor Court
Foregate Street Chester
Cheshire CH1 1HG
DX: 19990 Chester


Shrewsbury 01743 443043

Lakeside House
Oxon Business Park
Shrewsbury SY3 5HJ
DX: 148563 Shrewsbury 14

Slide e

Airport City, Manchester 0161 537 3324

Offices 204 and 205
Manchester Business Park
3000 Aviator Way
Manchester M22 5TG

Protecting Your Interest in Your Children’s Homes

adolescent couple investment

18th September, 2019

It is far from unusual for parents to give their children a helping hand to get on the property ladder when buying their first home.

In fact the latest figures from a survey by Legal and General show that the highest levels of parent funded contributions were recorded this year at an average of £24,100, with those numbers continuing to rise.

When compared with the UK’s largest banks, this ranks parents the 10th highest lender, funding £6.3 billion collectively.

Parents are financing these investments for their children by drawing on their own savings, withdrawing from their pension funds or even taking out debt in their own name.

Often the cash injections are handed over to the children simply in good faith without any legal structure considered. The contributions may be exchanged with their own personal stipulations, perhaps being a gift, a short or long term loan or other terms of repayment being agreed informally between the parent and child. Without the legalities surrounding these sums of money being clarified, it can result in a legal tangle further down the line.

In many cases the money will be invested in properties that are purchased by joint owners, perhaps by the child and their partner. They may or may not be married. If the child later separates, clawing back those contributions can be very difficult or impossible for the parents.

We are often faced with advising clients who have taken large sums of their own savings or other resources set aside for their future to help fund investments for their children. When dealing with a legal dispute following a separation, parents often suffer the consequences as they find that their contribution has been lost.

Other cases can involve the parents themselves separating and then seeking to include those funds already handed over in their own matrimonial pot. Without a clear understanding of the ownership of those funds it adds further uncertainty in their own divorce or separation.

When handing over sums of money, even when it is on terms between family members, it is imperative to ensure that the arrangements are formalised. There are a number or legal agreements that can be entered into to protect the return of those funds or clarify the legal terms of the contributions. Declarations of Trust, Pre -nuptial and Post-nuptial agreements are some of the mechanisms available to give legal clarity to the terms of the funding.

Planning for the unexpected is key and prevents heartache or lost cash down the line. Taking specialised legal advice ensures that you can help your child with the money they need, but makes certain that it is protected in the best way with tailor made agreements for your own circumstances.

Victoria Syvret


Senior Associate
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 01244 405 529


You might also be interested in...

Handholdingkeystohouse CovidandRentArrears–WhatdoesitmeanforCommercialLandlordsandTenants

Letting Residential Property in Wales

15th June, 2022

A Guide to the New Legislation for Landlords The law as it relates to rental properties in Wales... Read More »

Government temporarily changes the rules around Fit Notes Aaron and Partners scaled e

Sick notes: a change in the law?

10th June, 2022

In order to ease the pressure GPs are currently facing, pharmacists, nurses and other healthcare professionals will soon... Read More »

International Assembly Arrives in Chester

10th June, 2022

More than 80 delegates and guests from around the world flocked to Chester as part of an event... Read More »

Contact Us