About Paul Bennett
Paul Bennett is a Partner in both the Professional Practice and Employment Teams.
If the situation is challenging and career defining then he is a nationally acknowledged expert in professional practices and employment work who wins complex and important cases. The work is naturally national in nature but London and Manchester dominate as the locations of key regulators.
Paul’s work focuses on:
- Complex employment matters (including those arrangements which HMRC may be investigating)
- Compliance with regulatory rules
- Professional disciplinary work
- Partnership matters
He is a trained Solicitor Advocate (All Proceedings), an experienced mediator and an arbitrator in niche disputes.
The majority of Paul’s clients are:
- Accountants and Financial Service Professionals
- Doctors (both consultants under GMC investigation or facing a Fitness to Practise hearing and GP’s with partnership issues), Dentists and Healthcare professionals (particularly those regulated by the GMC, MPTS, GDC, NMC or HCPC)
- Law firms – Sole Practitioners, Partnerships and LLP’s, and Alternative Business Structures (ABS’s). In respect of Anti Money Laundering he has advised international law firms both here and abroad and acted for government departments in Court proceedings
- Lawyers – from Judges, QC’s Solicitors
- Other professionals (politicians, accountants, teachers, scientists etc.)
Clients benefit from both advisory expertise and litigation experience in all work that Paul is instructed on. Paul often advises on matters of procedure and evidence, breaches of professional obligations (such as to the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA), General Medical Council (GMC) and Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS) and Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)) matters.
Paul’s professional practices work includes partnership and shareholder advisory work focused on drafting agreements, compliance, and business structure, particularly for law firms, ABS investors and claims management companies.
A hugely experienced Solicitor Advocate, Paul’s expertise includes a four year appointment as Attorney General Panel Counsel representing the Government in complex matters before the Courts. He has also appeared in arbitration and adjudication proceedings including before the Football League, and other sporting and professional bodies.
Paul’s employment law work includes advising employers, football clubs, media personalities, law firms and individual managers/senior executives including City and FSTE 100 directors on:
- Bonus pay and schemes
- Difficult issues including disciplinary disputes
- Discrete resolution of disputes in the workplace
- Settlement Agreements (formerly known as compromise agreements) and on the termination of employment
- The structure of their agreements
Paul is a member of a number of professional bodies including:
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL
- Chartered Institute of Management (as Chartered Manager and Fellow)
- Employment Lawyers Association (including being a former Training Committee Member)
- Law Management Section (Committee Co-opted Member for his expertise)
- Law Society – Small Firms Division ( which he Chaired in 2015)
- Chairman of the Shropshire Business Partnership, supporting professional service businesses in Shropshire
- Costs-ADR – A barrister and mediation chambers providing arbitration, facilitative and evaluative mediation and expert determination through the leading costs ADR provider to the legal sector
- National barrister and mediators chambers Clerksroom mediating in London, Birmingham and Manchester (as well as from our offices in Shrewsbury, Chester and Manchester)
- Panel Mediator with Association of Midlands Mediators
Paul is thorough and professional. He has a sharp mind and a great personality. His communication skills are excellent. He is able to understand complex matters at the same time as being sensitive to his clients needs. His negotiating and advocacy skills are second to none.
I have no hesitation in recommending Paul.
Mr Bennett has always displayed an exemplary degree of competence in all fields of advice and has a very helpful and supportive manner.
I will certainly not waste this second chance and am more committed to social work than ever – not the case a year ago. And thank you also for your support on the day – so reassuring and comforting. I felt that the hearing was as good as it could be – so nice that they recognized the strengths and they did appear human and kind – perversely!
I will recommend you to anyone in a similar situation.
Paul’s expert knowledge provides significant reassurance.
Paul understands the needs of his client and his commercial awareness ensures you have all of the information and insight to decide what the right solution is for your business.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him and his team.