Insolvency & Restructuring
Our team of experienced solicitors assist companies and individuals that are experiencing financial difficulties. We act for insolvency practitioners, debtors and creditors, and for shareholders and directors of insolvent companies.
Our philosophy when advising businesses and individuals in financial trouble is to try and avoid formal insolvency when possible but where it is not, we will help you plan an effective strategy for dealing with your problems.
We appreciate that advice is often required quickly and always cost effectively and this is what you can expect from us.
Areas of Expertise:
- Advice as to the implications of insolvency, for instance when you can expect to be paid and what you are likely to recover
- Claims management
- Statutory demands
- Winding up petitions / bankruptcy petitions including drafting, service, and attending the hearing of the petition
For Directors and Shareholders
- Acquiring assets from trustees in bankruptcy, liquidators and administrators. Bargains can be had, but you need to understand the risks too
- Advising on director disqualification proceedings including applications for permission to act where an order or undertaking is in place
- Assisting in relation to claims for misfeasance, breach of duty and asset recovery claims (preferences, transactions at undervalue, wrongful trading or fraudulent trading)
- Exercising liens and other property rights against liquidators and administrators
- Setting up new businesses
For Individuals and Businesses Experiencing Financial Problems
- Acquiring from the trustee in bankruptcy their interest in assets forming part of the estate
- Advice as to how formal insolvency can be avoided including sales of part or all of the business and assets
- Advice as to the procedures available and their implications for you
- Implementation of formal insolvency procedures
- Negotiation with creditors
- Negotiations with trustees in bankruptcy, liquidators and administrators (what we call “office holders”) including negotiation with and advice in relation to the office holder’s rights.
For Insolvency Practitioners
- Advising in relation to the formalities associated with appointment
- Asset recovery, including where fraud is involved
- Disposal of assets
- Investigations into the debtor’s affairs
Our team of specialists in insolvency law has assisted hundreds of businesses, individuals and creditors to get the best result out of what can be a difficult and stressful situation.
Partner & Head of Dispute Resolution & Insolvency