Ending a relationship: Living in the UK with Assets Abroad
We deal with Relationship Breakdowns for both married and unmarried couples. We help clients who are UK residents but own property abroad, which can cause complications if seeking a separation in the UK. At Aaron & Partners, our exceptional family solicitors recognise the need to deal with a whole range of situations in a constructive, pragmatic and sensitive way, and we’ll work tirelessly to achieve this.
We have built good working relationships with Family Lawyers abroad so that we can deliver objective, realistic and practical advice that will enable you to make your own informed decision on matters with cross jurisdictional elements. We have also advised clients living in the UK but getting divorced abroad, including liaising with Lawyers in another jurisdiction acting on your behalf.
We also have extensive experience in drafting and advising upon Pre-Nuptial Agreements for clients who are intending to marry a non-UK national or where there are likely to be cross jurisdictional elements based on the intended residence of the parties or the location of their assets.
Please contact us if you live in the UK but have assets abroad. Amongst other legal issues we can assist with:
- Division of financial assets including ensuring mirror Orders can be obtained in countries where assets are held to ensure enforceability
- Enforcement of Maintenance Orders
- Drafting (and advice upon recognition of) Nuptial Agreements
We have acted for clients living abroad but getting divorced in the UK and vice versa. Some of the cross jurisdictional work includes:
- Representing a client who had property in Spain and a Gibraltar based business
- Drafting a Pre-Nuptial Agreement for a UK based client with a Vietnamese spouse
- Representing clients with regards to reciprocal maintenance Order made in Australia and Canada
- Advising a client who was getting divorced in Egypt
- Representing a UK-based client with Caribbean properties
Partner & Head of Family Law