Living abroad and ending a relationship in the UK
We regularly act for clients living abroad but getting divorced in England and Wales. Our exceptional team can advise upon all aspects of the breakdown of the relationship. We recognise the need to deal with a whole range of situations in a constructive, pragmatic and sensitive way, and we’ll work tirelessly to achieve this.
Just because you live outside of the UK it does not mean that any Order made abroad concerning assets in the UK is not enforceable. Orders regarding the transfer of real property are usually recognised by the English Family Court, as there is cross border corporation with such Orders.
Similarly if you live abroad but your former partner has lodged their application for a Divorce in the English Family Court we can assist. Just because you live abroad, and your assets are held in the Country in which you live, the English family court has power to make an Order in respect of foreign assets.
We will work in conjunction with our network on Family Lawyers abroad to ensure that any Orders made in the English Family Court can be enforced either within, or outside of the jurisdiction.
Our specialist team can also advise upon the drafting (and advice upon recognition of) Nuptial Agreements as well as advising upon Agreements drafted in foreign jurisdictions.
Examples of where we have acted for clients living abroad but with assets in the UK include:
- Representing a client living in Dubai but with assets in England and Wales
- Representing a client living in Spain but with assets in England and Wales
- Representing a client domiciled in Portugal but with business interests in the UK and extensive property held in Portugal, Spain, Italy and Argentina
- Representing an Indian-based client with UK and Indian properties
- Representing a client who had assets in England but their spouse was living and working in Saudi Arabia