Transport and Logistics in the UK
By its nature logistics is an international business. Our specialist Logistics and Transport team has many years’ experience in road transport and warehousing law, providing realistic and practical advice to help clients understand and comply with their obligations, while pursuing their commercial objectives.
We deal with regulation and compliance issues; contracts with customers and suppliers; disputes; getting paid (including the use of liens); land and buildings; employment; environmental matters; shareholder agreements; mergers and acquisitions and many other areas.
As one of the UK’s leading firms of logistics solicitors, we have a thorough understanding of the logistics, warehousing and transport industries including the standard terms which are used by operators; RHA conditions of carriage and storage; UKWA conditions of contract; BIFA terms (freight forwarding); and the application of the CMR to road haulage between European states. Our clients range from owner managed haulage and warehouse operators to international haulage and logistics companies and their staff.
We are the honorary legal advisors to UKWA (the United Kingdom Warehousing Association), for which we draft and maintain the standard Contract Conditions and run its legal helpline.
Our team is recommended in the leading independent legal directories Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners for our expertise in logistics and transport matters.
Our services include:
- Acquiring property (purchase or lease) and financing arrangements
- Acquisitions and sales of equipment and businesses
- Advising on the recovery of debts from customers, including insolvent customers
- Applying liens
- Dilapidations claims
- Employment issues, including the transfer of Employees on change of service provider or acquisition
- Joint ventures
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing transport, warehousing and distribution contracts
- Financing agreements
- Obtaining and maintaining Operator Licences (including public inquiries)
- Clandestine entrants work
- Vehicle seizures
If you are a logistics operator from outside the UK we can assist you with the regulatory requirements for operating in England and Wales; with your dealings with subcontractors; getting paid by English customers; other disputes such as claims for damaged goods if they are subject to English law; and joint ventures here.