Chester 01244 405 555

Grosvenor Court
Foregate Street Chester
Cheshire CH1 1HG
DX: 19990 Chester


Shrewsbury 01743 443043

Lakeside House
Oxon Business Park
Shrewsbury SY3 5HJ
DX: 148563 Shrewsbury 14

Slide e

Airport City, Manchester 0161 537 3324

Offices 204 and 205
Manchester Business Park
3000 Aviator Way
Manchester M22 5TG

Wider Family Rights

In certain situations, members of a child’s wider family, such as grandparents, step-parents, aunts and uncles, may need their own legal advice on children issues.

This may be because the child lives with them, or they want to acquire parental responsibility. More often, however, it involves arranging to spend time with the child where the parent themselves no longer has contact, or where they want contact independently of the arrangement between the parent and the child.

Usually, we initially try to reach an agreement with the parents. If the matter cannot be resolved by consent, we would apply to the court for an order. Often, the family member doesn’t have an automatic right to make an application to the court. This includes grandparents, unless the child has been living with them for one year, or they have the consents of the parents. In these situations, we’ll need to make a preliminary application for the court’s permission to apply for the Child Arrangements Order.

We advise family members on all types of children matters and are very experienced in dealing with the complex, emotional and often upsetting issues involved.


Richard Barge Richard Barge

Partner & Head of Family Law
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 01244 455371

Lorraine Saunders

Family Law Partner
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 01244 455304

Find a Service Area

Contact Us