Chester 01244 405 555

Grosvenor Court
Foregate Street Chester
Cheshire CH1 1HG
DX: 19990 Chester


Shrewsbury 01743 443043

Lakeside House
Oxon Business Park
Shrewsbury SY3 5HJ
DX: 148563 Shrewsbury 14

Slide e

Airport City, Manchester 0161 537 3324

Offices 204 and 205
Manchester Business Park
3000 Aviator Way
Manchester M22 5TG

Overseas Divorces

Even though a divorce and the financial claims associated with it may have already taken place and been concluded in another jurisdiction, you may be able to apply to the English courts for further financial assistance. It’s only possible in certain limited cases, however, and there are many hurdles to overcome before an order will be made.

First, before it even entertains a claim, the court must be satisfied that there is a substantial ground for making the application. Whether you are entitled to ask the court for help in this way depends on your domicile, your habitual residence or the presence of a former matrimonial home within England and Wales.

Before making an order for financial provision after an overseas divorce, the court must consider whether it’s appropriate. In doing this, it will consider a number of factors, such as the connection each of you have with this country, the time that has elapsed since the divorce, the assets available in this country and the provision which has already been made abroad, among other things. If the court does decide that an order is appropriate, it then has to look at the same principles governing the division of finances upon divorce in this country, to decide the precise terms, nature and extent of the order.

The court is keen to keep a proper balance between not allowing someone to have ‘two bites of the cherry’ if they’re not satisfied with the outcome of a foreign court, while also ensuring that injustices are not done to someone with strong connections to England and Wales during the marriage.

The same legislation can be used if you want to obtain an order in this country by consent, following an overseas divorce. Some assets may be ignored or excluded by a foreign court, so those assets will need to be dealt with here. For example, if you want to obtain pension sharing orders of a UK pension following your divorce overseas.

Richard Barge Richard Barge

Partner & Head of Family Law
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 01244 455371

Lorraine Saunders

Family Law Partner
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 01244 455304

Find a Service Area

Contact Us