Chester 01244 405555

Grosvenor Court
Foregate Street Chester
Cheshire CH1 1HG
DX: 19990 Chester

Shrewsbury 01743 443 043

Lakeside House
Oxon Business Park
Shrewsbury SY3 5HJ
DX: 148563 Shrewsbury 14

Manchester 0844 800 8346

Pall Mall Court
61-67 King Street
Manchester M2 4PD

Send us a message
Our Offices

Are you a Victim of the Employment Tribunal when it comes to compensation?

15th April, 2015

Is a Claimant likely to have compensation for victimisation claims reduced in an employment tribunal?

In the case of Das v Ayrshire & Arran Health Board the answer is yes.

Victimisation is legislated under the Equality Act 2010 (EqA 2010). The definition of victimisation is when a person subjects another to a detriment as a result of a protected act, which includes giving evidence, raising a grievance or bringing proceedings under the EqA 2010 such as a protected disclosure.

Usually compensation for these matters in an employment tribunal is based on an element of loss and injury to feelings. The employment tribunal must take into account the position the claimant would have been in, if the victimisation had not taken place.

In the Case of Das v Ayrshire & Arran Health Board however, Doctor Das made a protected disclosure over what he believed to be a misdiagnosis of a patient by another consultant in 2006, and had also made several other allegations of racial discrimination.

In 2010 Doctor Das applied for a role as a specialist doctor. He was given an interview but was not offered the position and was told he had performed badly at the interview. Doctor Das issued tribunal proceedings against the board’s decision and stated that the decision was based on the protected disclosure he made in 2006 and the racial discrimination allegations he had made in the form of a grievance. This dispute was settled by judicial mediation.

In 2012 Doctor Das applied for another position as a clinical teaching and research fellow post. This role was a low level post and was not expected to appeal to a specialist doctor. Doctor Das was in fact the only applicant. The board interviewed him with as little knowledge of Doctor Das’s previous experience as possible.  However, prior to the interview the board decided to withdraw the role before subsequently making an appointment to the post following a reorganisation.

Doctor Das issued tribunal proceedings and was compensated for loss of opportunity as the tribunal concluded that he would have had a 10% chance of successfully securing the role, therefore his claim of victimisation was upheld. The employment tribunal reduced his compensation by 90% as there were no absolute guarantees that Doctor Das would have been successful in securing the role, as in the past he had performed badly at interviews. The turning point of this appeal was that the Respondent was prepared to appoint no one rather than someone they did not believe was suitable for the role.

Doctor Das appealed the tribunal’s decision stating that the decision to reduce the compensation was perverse. This claim was denied as was the Respondent’s counter appeal stating the amount awarded was too high.

For further information and advice on victimisation or protected disclosure, please contact Helen Watson on 01244 405565 or send an email to [email protected]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You might also be interested in...

Solicitors’ Professional Indemnity Insurance: Run-off and alternative regulators

18th July, 2018

Special Focus: Solicitors’ Professional Indemnity Insurance Run-off – it dominates the thoughts of sole practitioners and partners in smaller law firms in my experience and restricts the ambitions of firms. The SRA could help law firms by relaxing their rules on run-off cover on their Solicitors’ Professional Indemnity Insurance to help firms merge or close more easily. This would protect... Read More »

Senior employment lawyer joins Theatr Clwyd board

17th July, 2018

Helen Watson, Head of Employment Law at Aaron & Partners LLP, has taken up an invitation to become a Trustee of both the Trust Board and the Main Board Theatr Clwyd has bolstered its senior leadership team with the appointment of an experienced employment law solicitor to support its vision of being at the forefront of theatre making... Read More »

Why there is more to CSR than just boosting a company’s ego

6th July, 2018

When a business invests in its community it deserves praise – but it must go beyond that, writes Helen Watson, a trustee at Claire House and partner at Aaron and Partners Solicitors. Corporate social responsibility (CSR) is the link between a company and the community in which it operates. As a trustee on charity boards including Claire House... Read More »

Contact Us