Close menu

If you’re married parents or the unmarried mother of a child, you will have parental responsibility for your child. You will also have parental responsibility if you’re the father of a child born after 1 December 2003 and your name is on the birth certificate, or if you’ve signed a parental responsibility agreement.

Click here to contact us about your matter.

What is parental responsibility?

If you have parental responsibility, you have the rights and responsibilities for making the important decisions in a child’s life, be it in relation to their education, religious upbringing, medical treatment or place of residence.

You don’t give up parental responsibility if you separate, divorce or dissolve a civil partnership.

If you don’t have parental responsibility we would help you to try and reach an agreement with the other parent. If an agreement for you to have parental responsibility is reached, we will draft the necessary agreement. If you can’t reach an agreement, our family lawyers can make an application to court on your behalf.

Get in touch with our family law solicitors

Our family law team provide support and proactive advice that can assist you with your case. To contact our solicitors please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in touch to discuss your case.

Key Contacts

Simon Magner Mawdsley

Family Law Partner

Simon acts for clients in all aspects of relationship breakdowns including divorce, resolution of financial matters, civil partnerships, cohabitation disputes, pre- and post-marital agreements, injunctions, and children matters.

Lorraine Saunders

Family Law Partner

Read more

Neil Hobden

Family Law Partner

Read more

Richard Barge

Partner | Head of Family Law

Read more